"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:   

He leadeth me beside the still waters. 

He restoreth my soul:

He leadeth me in paths of righteousness for his 

name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the

 shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff they

 comfort me."

Psalm 23:1-4


My beautiful mom and her radiant smile.


To all who have been on this journey with Ann/mom and our family since July 2022, I want to express my deepest gratitude for each one of you. Your words of encouragement and comfort; your generosity of spirit to contribute financially these past 11 months; your prayers (probably most precious of all) have uplifted us and have made a heart wrenching year easier to bear. I am fully confident your prayers have made a significant difference in Ann's life, my dad's life and for all of us who so dearly love her. Although I knew the day would come when I would need to convey this news to our family and friends, it doesn't make it any easier. 

Since the last post on June 22nd, Ann came home and it was evident that being home buoyed her spirits. All of us were delighted to have her back home as well. She was definitely much weaker than before she was hospitalized and having the colostomy added some new complications to her care. We also noticed some behavioral changes that seemed to indicate possible progression of the GBM/brain cancer. On Monday, July 3rd dad called the paramedics because the home health nurse was concerned about Ann's condition. Bloodwork revealed that mom's platelet count was 11,000 (normal is 150,000). There were also issues related to her colostomy that the medical team was trying to resolve.

On Tuesday, July 4th (the "anniversary" of mom's diagnosis) several family members visited mom in her hospital room. The movie, Yankee Doodle Dandy was playing and Ann was more alert and engaged than she had been in awhile. It was obvious she enjoyed being surrounded by family and listening in on the various conversations. 😊 My dad was visiting with mom on Wednesday and observed that she wasn't nearly as engaged. He wanted a meeting with someone at Mission Hospital to discuss her status. I suggested a brain MRI to see if there had indeed been progression of her tumor. The MRI was done yesterday evening and the meeting happened at 10 a.m. today with Chris in the palliative care department at Mission. Dr. Patel, the hospitalist joined the meeting a bit later.

Unfortunately, even though Dr. Patel's words were not entirely surprising they were devastating to hear and to process. The MRI revealed what we suspected, GBM has spread in Ann's brain and there has been bleeding in her brain as well. Because of her extremely low platelet count she is in a very precarious state. When dad asked if we were looking at days or weeks Dr. Patel believes her timeline is a week or less. He knew my dad (and mom's) desire is for her to pass at home and told dad she needs to be transported home today. Arrangements have been made for Ann to receive one more unit of platelets and then hospice will transport her home this evening.

It breaks my heart to have to share this news. I am so very grateful for the words of comfort and hope the Bible contains. Even though Ann is now in the "valley of the shadow of death", we know she is being carried by Jesus, the Good Shepherd. I trust that He will carry my father as well through the valley of sorrow and grief because God describes Himself as "the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness" (Exodus 34:6).

Please pray for Ann, Joe and our family, as well as for mom and dad's close friends as we enter this transitional time: 
  • That mom would be kept as comfortable as possible. 
  • That her passing, when it happens, is gentle.
  • That the hospice team caring for mom would be wonderfully caring and responsive to both mom and dad's needs at this time.
  • That Alma and Fany, who have been such excellent caregivers, would feel God's comfort as their time of caring for their beloved Ann draws to a close.
  • That dad would have the finances for my mother's funeral, etc.
Thank you again for being a part of this journey. I praise God for the hope we have because of Jesus' sacrifice on all of our behalf. There will come a day for all who have placed their faith in Him when 'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.' (Rev. 21:4) 
Amen!

With love and a very sad heart,
Terrie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ann's Obituary

In My Father’s House