Christmas and Family

 

"A Christmas Carol" 

by Christina Rosetti

The Shepherds had an Angel,

The Wise Men had a star,

But what have I, a little child,

To guide me home from far,

Where glad stars sing together

And singing angels are?

Those Shepherds through the lonely night

Sat watching by their sheep.

Until they saw the heavenly host

Who neither tire nor sleep.

All singing, "Glory, glory,"

In festival they keep.

The Wise Men left their country

To journey morn by morn,

With gold and frankincense and myrrh,

Because the Lord was born:

God sent a star to guide them

And sent a dream to warn.

My life is like their journey,

Their star is like God's book;

I must be like those good Wise Men

With heavenward heart and look:

But shall I give no gifts to God? -

What precious gifts they took!


Mom and Dad on Christmas Day 💝


My heart is filled with gratitude. It's been just shy of six months since Ann's cancer journey began. As the photo above captures so beautifully: mom is doing great and my dad has reason to smile. The Christmas season encompasses so many things, most are delightful and some are stressful. One of the aspects that is most meaningful to me (aside from the advent of Jesus' birth) is family time. 

I included photos of some particularly special family moments this December. This reinforces for me the preciousness of all that "family" means: being with those you love and creating memories that we carry in our hearts & minds forever.




I saw this dandelion on a recent walk with my dog, Molly and it reminded me of blowing on these as a kid and making a wish. What would I have "wished" for [aka prayed for] back in July 2022? Christmas with mom. Our family has lots and lots of Christmas memories with mom at the center. Mom wrapping presents hours and hours past midnight on Christmas. Mom preparing delicious meals for us to enjoy. Which makes perfect sense because mom has always been about selecting meaningful gifts for her loved ones, as well as cooking yummy meals. I am so, so thankful that God blessed our family with a sweet Christmas this year.

My sister, Cassandra, her husband, Gene with Mom and Dad

One of the joys this December is that my sister and her husband were able to visit mom and dad for the first time since mom's diagnosis. My sister has had significant health challenges of her own, which have kept her from traveling. I'm so grateful that she got the "okay" from her cardiologist to make the drive to Orange County. It was a wonderful surprise for mom a few weeks ago. 😊


The Rupp & Grago "girls" at Piecemakers' Christmas Faire in early December

One of our newer Christmas traditions with mom (and now Roge, Nina and Terren) ~ is going to Piecemakers for their annual Christmas faire the first weekend of December. My daughter, Allison and I have been going since she was a little girl and last year was the first time mom accompanied us. So much fun!

Updates:
  • Ann had two MRI's last week of her brain and spine. I imagine the appointment with Dr. Kim to review them will be mid-January (due to the holidays). I will post regarding the results when we meet with Dr. Kim.
  • Ann has met with a physical therapist weekly and continues to grow stronger. She needs the walker less and less frequently. Hooray!
  • The caregivers who have been with Ann have each been a blessing. Mom and dad are very grateful for these women.
Prayers:
  • For a good report from Dr. Kim.
  • For continued physical strength for mom.
  • For provision for caregiving as long as it is needed.
Thank you for caring about Ann and her journey. We so appreciate your prayers and well-wishes all along this journey these past almost six months.

With love & a grateful heart,
Terrie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ann's Obituary

In My Father’s House