Wait, What?

 

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him."

Romans 15:13



Mom and Dad with Abby on their last trip to Kernville for a visit with my sister, Cassandra and her husband, Gene.


Two weeks ago this Thursday it felt like circumstances were dog piling on dad. Mom and dad are thoroughly devoted to their fur babies: Abby, an immensely lovable German Shepherd and Lenny, a food-obsessed cat who has been spoiled rotten by my mom. 😻 They both have been life long animal lovers and during my entire childhood we had a menagerie of various dogs and cats. Sometimes several cats at once and many of them had quite a lot of personality or straight up quirkiness (aka weirdness). Our family loves to recount our favorite memories from the Rupp animal 'Hall of Fame'.

Abby has been mom and dad's companion and source of endless joy for almost 13 1/2 years. She definitely was showing signs of aging like arthritis in her back and sleeping a lot during the day, but she was still pretty spry and loved dad's belly rubs, Milk Bones and nightly ball fetching sessions. On August 3 around 11:30 p.m. dad noticed Abby wasn't doing well. He kept hoping that she'd rebound but it became increasingly clear that she was dying. Sigh. She passed at 1:30 in the morning.

My brother, Michael went to mom and dad's to help my dad with Abby in the middle of the night. Michael texted me but I didn't see his text until Thursday morning. At first, to be honest, I felt more than a little angry with God: "Really Lord? First mom, now Abby? Why now? Why before mom gets home from the hospital so she could at least say her goodbyes?" It. didn't. seem. fair.

I wish my first response to hard news is to be full of faith and trust and kindness and patience and grace.... but alas, my first inclination too often is fear, unbelief, etc. Fortunately, as I process through my thoughts and feelings I always eventually come around to faith and trust. Faith in God's character and trust that He is motivated by love and perfect wisdom.

It took a bit but I could see that the timing of Abby's passing was merciful in some respects. (The death of our pets will never feel like good timing because our hearts become so attached to them.) It would have been even more traumatic if mom was home and Abby passed with her there. It also occurred to me that dad has a lot on his "plate" with mom being at Mission Hospital and now at a skilled nursing facility. Not having to arrange for Abby's needs simplifies things for him.

 
R.I.P. Abby

Abby will forever hold a special place in mom and dad's hearts and they have many wonderful memories of her. One of the reasons I postponed this blog post is that dad was waiting for an opportune time to tell mom. Mom asked about Abby a few days ago and dad let her know. Mom was pretty stoic about it but its a hard thing to find out. Please be in prayer for my parents as they grieve losing sweet Abby.

Updates:
  • Mom was transferred from Mission Hospital to Mission Capistrano Healthcare last Wednesday. It was an answer to prayer to find a skilled nursing facility that would accept mom while she is on chemotherapy.
  • Mom is unhappy being at MCH for various reasons and we are working to hire a caregiver to bring her home as soon as possible.
  • Obtaining Temodar (the oral chemo drug) has been a monumental feat. Michael (king of perseverance!!!) finally figured out a solution with the help of Dr. Fong's office, mom's chemo oncologist. Yippee skippee!!!
Prayer requests:
  • That the caregiver we have in mind will be a good fit and the timing will be right for bringing mom home.
  • For mom to have God's peace and patience until we can arrange for her homecoming.
  • Healing for some skin issues for mom.

Praises & Thanksgiving:
  • The Go Fund Me that was started last Monday has been an incredible blessing. To date $18,245.00 has been donated toward providing at home caregiving for mom 24/7. We are so very grateful for the support!
  • Michael ~ you have been such a gift to mom and dad. Your resourcefulness and availability and kindness has been above and beyond. I am blessed to be your sister.
  • Glenda ~ your assistance in many regards, but especially in trying to work through the challenges of providing affordable at home care for mom, has been a great big blessing and we are grateful for your friendship.
  • For our good, faithful and loving God. I praise You for how you have provided for mom and dad. How you have guided our steps. I love You!
With a grateful heart,
Terrie





Comments

  1. Terrie, I'm so sorry to hear about Abby, and your mom's health struggles. I admire that your family is so close, supportive, and strong - not to mention resourceful! I'm sending positive healing thoughts and love to your family. - Janelle Potter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janelle, I am just seeing this comment now. Thank you so much for what you wrote. It blesses me! Terrie

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ann's Obituary

In My Father’s House