Annie's Song

 "The LORD is close to the broken-hearted

and saves those who are crushed in spirit."

Psalm 34:18


                                            Dad & Mom at Chapin Winery in Nov. 2021

A dear friend suggested this morning I begin a new blog for my mom's journey which began two weeks ago on Monday, July 4, 2022. This will be a way to provide updates on my precious mom and to share any spiritual insights that Holy Spirit may impart. It is my hope to be an encouragement to the reader and to honor my mom, Ann Rupp and my dad, Joe.

Here is a bit of backstory for the title of this "inaugural" blogpost. I was trying to come up with a fitting name for the blog. There is a song written and performed by John Denver that is very meaningful to my parents: "Annie's Song". (I have linked the song for you at the end of this post.) I am not a musician but I know that songs evoke the most visceral of emotions: the highest highs and lowest lows. This journey that my mom, my dad and our family has embarked upon (a journey none of us would have chosen) will undoubtedly have both allegro, a fast tempo & adagio, a slow tempo ~ I had to look these musical terms up. 😊

Here are some updates on my mom:
  • She is currently in rehab at Mission Hospital and is expected to go home around July 25th.
  • She is undergoing speech, occupational and physical therapy.
  • I spoke with her this evening and we had a good conversation. My dad and her sister, Moira had just gone home. She was in good spirits. Yay! My mom continually blesses me with her positive outlook.
Prayer requests:
  • Continued improvement for my mom as she works with the various therapists in rehab at Mission Hospital.
  • Strength for mom and dad was they grapple with their "new normal".
  • Provision for whatever mom and dad need as mom transitions home next week.

Spiritual encouragement (don't we all need this? ~ I know I do):

I recently began revisiting a devotional by Michelle Cushatt. Something I read this evening was so applicable to the emotions & questions that have percolated to the top of my soul these past two weeks. This devotional is from: I AM: A 60-Day Journey to Knowing Who You Are Because of Who He Is. [that's a mouthful! Right?] Day 15 I Am Not Abandoned

The "backstory" to Michelle's devotional involves the shooting in the Aurora, Colorado movie theatre in July 2012 (can you believe that's been 10 years ago already?!?):

"When a large-scale tragedy, or threat of it, shakes the world, people often respond one of two ways: they turn away from God or toward Him. The first believes the tragedy strikes as a result of God's absence or abandonment. How could a good God allow this to happen? The second believes God is the only refuge and answer for a world gone awry.
 
   "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age," Jesus said (Matt. 28:20). Words of comfort and strength to a world filled with people who needed to know they wouldn't be left on their own.
 
   He's unruffled by the news, even if we aren't. Because He holds all things in His hands, including us. No matter how violently the earth shakes, He remains steadfast. That means we are not abandoned. No matter how bad it gets.
 
   I have no answers for why bad things happen, no platitudes or easy retorts.

    But this I know: whether we acknowledge Him, God is with us... Our doubts and questions don't diminish His reality. He is the bedrock below our ever-shifting circumstantial sand. Someone who sees all, knows all, and promises it will be okay. Even better, someone who will be with us even when the worst happens.
 
   There will be a reckoning, a day when a real God carries through on His promise: "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain." Rather than say it with a whisper, He will command it with a shout: No more! No more!"

    With the lament of a grieving Father, He will right all wrongs... God will never walk away. He is with us, to the end of time."

(These are not the writings of a "light weight". Michelle has battled mouth cancer and bears physical/emotional scars and yet....she still holds fast to the goodness and faithfulness of God. I hope her words encourage your soul today. 💗)

Clinging to the steadfast love & faithfulness of God,

Terrie










Comments

  1. I think this is a wonderful idea. It was so inspirational and informative when you chronicalled Rogers Race. I look forward to reading future blogs and I will continue to pray for you all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ann's Obituary

In My Father’s House